Join us for dinner, fellowship & discussion of our current sermon series or designated topic. All are welcome.
Main Dish & Beverage will be provided.
Please Bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
Tonight’s Location: The Sanchez Home in Downey (near Firestone Bl/Woodruff Av)
For Directions Contact: Call or Text – Leticia (562) 715-1895; Juan (562) 715-1915; Judy (562) 544-8365
Tonight’s Discussion: Acts 6:1-7 and I Corinthians 15:50-53
Sermon Audio: Acts 6:1-7 and I Cor.15:50-53
1. The church in Jerusalem was bicultural, being composed of the Hebrews and the Hellenists. Explain who these two groups were and what distinguished them. Why is it desirable to have a congregation that represents the cultural diversity of the locality where it meets?
2. Why might there have been a disproportionate number of Hellenist widows in the Jerusalem congregation?
3. It is debatable whether the seven men chosen by the congregation to manage the care of the widows were the first “deacons.” What’s your view and why?
4. Luke once again reminds his readers of the explosive growth of the Jesus movement when he wrote, “a great many priests became obedient to the faith.” What does this expression mean? Why is faith considered an act of obedience? Cite a few scriptural cross references that add further support.
5. What argument does Paul make for the absolute necessity of our bodies being transformed at the resurrection?
6. Explain the “mystery” Paul reveals about the future resurrection of the dead.