Join us for dinner, fellowship & discussion of our current sermon series or designated topic. All are welcome.
Main Dish & Beverage will be provided.
Please Bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
Tonight’s Location: Tom Calvert’s Office – Long Beach
For Directions Contact:Tom 562.331.5236; Joann 562.716.8951; home 562.595.6181
Tonight’s Discussion Topic: John 19:31-37 & John 19:38-42
1. How did breaking the legs of the two other crucified victims hasten their death? What was the significance of Jesus’ bones not being broken?
2. What are the possible explanations for the “blood and water” which came out at once from the piercing of Jesus’ side? Was this an expected natural occurrence, seeing the physical trauma Jesus endured or something entirely unique and miraculous in nature? What two realities concerning Jesus Christ were established by this amazing event?
3. Discuss the rich symbolism of the “blood and water” from Christ’s side. Jesus’ death is the double cure for what two aspects of mankind’s sin problem? (see Psa.51:1,2,7,9; I Cor.6:11; Titus 3:5-6; I John 1:9; Zech.13:1)
4. Why is the account of Jesus’ burial important to the gospel history? How does it mark a turning point and transition between Christ’s states of humiliation and exaltation?
5. Reflect on the garden theme or motif in Scripture. In the beginning, man was placed in a garden and later driven out of it (Gen.2:8-10; 3:23-24). The passion narrative begins and ends in a garden (John 18:1/19:41). The Bible concludes with a garden reminiscent of Eden in the midst of the eternal city of God (Rev.22:1-4). Tie these together to explain the story of redemption.