Join us for dinner, fellowship & discussion of our current sermon series or designated topic. All are welcome.
Main Dish & Beverage will be provided.
Please Bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
Tonight’s Location: The Haley Home, Long Beach (near Atherton & Studebaker)
For Directions Contact:Daniel (714) 673-8906, Miya (310) 930-3060
Tonight’s Discussion Topic: John 21:15-23 & John 20:30-31 & 21:24-25
1. After breakfast on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus questioned his fallen disciple three times concerning his love for Jesus. Each question began with “Simon, son of John.” For what possible reasons did Jesus addressed Peter by his original name?
Read again Peter’s first encounter with Jesus (John 1:41-42)
2. What are the parallels between the circumstances of Peter’s fall and restoration?
3. Peter’s full restoration to Christ’s service is rich in application for us today. For example, can a Christian fail the Lord so badly that he/she is disqualified from future service? What is a fundamental prerequisite for serving Jesus? What is the primary task of those who are called to shepherd Christ’s flock?
4. Reflect on this final scene in John’s narrative, revealing Jesus’ perfect knowledge of the future as it pertained to Peter’s martyrdom. However, Peter’s curiosity to know what will become of John is instantly shut down by Jesus, asserting his sovereignty over the life of his servant and commanding Peter to focus on one thing- “You, follow me.” What encouragement do you draw from this?
5. John clearly stated the purpose for which he wrote his gospel account. Expound John’s meaning as if you were witnessing to an unbeliever and helping them to understand the essentials of the Christian faith.
6. The last verse of John’s gospel magnifies Jesus, the subject of his narrative. Is John exaggerating or is his subject really a matter worthy of endless description?