Join us for dinner, fellowship & discussion of our current sermon series or designated topic. All are welcome.
Main Dish & Beverage will be provided.
Please Bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
Tonight’s Location: The Ramirez Home, Seal Beach (near Seal Beach Blvd & Lampson)
For Directions Contact: Gen (562) 900-7543
Tonight’s Discussion Topic: 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 & 1 Corinthians 12:8-11
1. Paul’s discussion of “spirituals” is viewed from three angles in I Corinthians 12:4-6. Explain the meaning of “gifts”, “service”, and “activities”.
2. The conventional understanding of spiritual gifts has been challenged in recent years by Kenneth Berding (What Are Spiritual Gifts? 2006) who argues that spiritual gifts are not special abilities but ministries. List a few of the reasons for this interpretation.
3. The “Lord” (Jesus Christ) decides in what capacity we shall serve him. It’s his prerogative to assign our sphere of service. Cite some NT examples that illustrate I Cor.12:5.
4. How many gift-lists are there in the NT and where are they found? What else can be said about these lists?
5. The most difficult charismata to define from the list in I Cor.12 is “the utterance of wisdom” and “the utterance of knowledge”. What can be said about these? How do they differ? Do they belong together? How are they usually explained by charismatic Christians?
6. Paul’s list mentions “gifts of healings” (plural), suggesting different kinds of healings. Explain the various ways God may choose to heal sickness and illustrate from Jesus’ healing ministry.
7. Why is “the discerning of spirits” important in the context of “prophecy”? What are “the various kinds of tongues” Paul is referring to?
8. If time permits, discuss your own questions about spiritual gifts and share your experiences with any of the charismata Paul mentions in this list.