Join us for dinner, fellowship & discussion of our current sermon series or designated topic. All are welcome.
Main Dish & Beverage will be provided.
Please Bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
Tonight’s Location: The Calvert Home, Long Beach (near Atlantic Ave & Bixby)
For Directions Contact: Joann (562) 716-8951; Tom (562) 331-5236; home (562) 595-6181
Tonight’s Discussion Topic & Questions: I Corinthians 13:1-3 & 15:3
1. Explain the context of I Corinthians 13 and why it’s so important to the situation at Corinth.
2. The possibility of exercising the gifts of the Spirit without love is a sobering consideration. Do the gifts look any different in the absence of love? Can the gifts still be of benefit even though there is no love? In other words, is it possible for a person to exercise powerful and impressive charismata without love and discover later that it all counted for nothing as far as God is concerned? Could Paul’s teaching in the third chapter that distinguishes between two different types of building material be the difference between a ministry with and without love?
3. What does Paul mean when he says, “and if I have not love”? In what sense is love absent? Love for who?
4. How can a selfless act that seems to epitomize the very concept of love be performed entirely devoid of love? This is puzzling and confusing on the surface, but sort this out biblically.
5. D. A. Carson aptly summarized this section when he wrote that this is God’s math: 5 minus 1 = Zero! Please explain the equation in terms of the text- I Cor.13:1-3.
6. What did you get out of the communion message on I Corinthians 15:3? Explain Paul’s meaning- “I delivered . . . what I received” “of first importance” “for our sins” “according to the Scriptures.”